Makes one large tart
PASTRY: 1. Sift flour. * Parmesan/Parmigiano-Reggiano is made with calf rennet. Can be substituted with a parmesan style hard cheese or vegan dairy free parmesan style cheese.
250g strong white flour
70g unsalted butter
55g vegetarian lard
2 egg yolks
A splash of water
750g butternut squash
200g tinned plum tomatoes
75g vine tomatoes
2 red chillies
150ml double cream
30g vegetarian friendly Parmesan*
1 egg yolk
20ml lemon juice
1 tbsp picked leaves
1 tsp sea salt
2. Mix butter, lard and flour together to a fine crumb.
3. Slowly add egg yolks, egg & water to the mix bit by bit in mixer until dough forms and comes away clean from edges. Do not over mix.
4. Tip out onto cold surface and with the palm of your hand push out the pastry to make sure that all butter and flour is combined.
5. Roll into a sausage shape, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour before use. (It will keep in fridge for a week or freezer for 6 months).
6. Line an 11 loose-bottomed tart case with pastry no more than 3mm thick, taking care to push it into every contour of the case. Blind bake for 10 mins, then remove baking beans and bake for another two mins to firm up. Remove and leave to cool.
7. Break down the squash and toss with some of the olive oil, thyme, half the garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Tip on to parchment lined baking tray and roast at 180C for 25 mins or until soft and starting to colour.
8. Blitz entire contents of roasting tray in food processor until totally smooth.
9. Let cool and add cream, eggs, egg yolks, parmesan and finely chopped chilli. Blitz again to a loose mix. Season and set aside.
10. Meanwhile, cook down chopped garlic, tinned tomatoes, chopped vine tomatoes and lemon juice to a jam. Let cool.
11. Spread tomato jam over bottom of tart case.
12. Gently pour over squash mix and get rid of any bubbles with a blow torch.
13. Bake at 150C for 25 mins until just set.
14. Serve at room temp.
1. Sift flour.
* Parmesan/Parmigiano-Reggiano is made with calf rennet. Can be substituted with a parmesan style hard cheese or vegan dairy free parmesan style cheese.