Recipe provided by The Healthy Chef - Teresa Cutter
1 kg zucchini
1 kg eggplant
1 kg sweet potato
4 red capsicum
¼ cup pesto
1 quantity smashed tomato sauce
100 g baby spinach leaves
500 g good quality ricotta cheese, firm deli style
30 g Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
For the Tomato Sauce
1.2 kg ripe roma tomatoes, chopped
3 shallots, finely diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
pinch of sea salt
1 tablespoon butter
freshly chopped garden herbs
For The Tomato Sauce
1. Saute onion / shallots in the olive oil over a medium heat for 1 – 2 minutes until soft.
2. Add tomato and mix through.
3. Cover with a lid and reduce the heat slightly.
4. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the tomatoes have softened and have started to collapse.
5. Remove the lid and smash tomatoes with the back of a fork and season with a little salt and freshly ground pepper.
For the Lasagne
1. Preheat oven to 180 C.
2. Slice zucchini into ribbons on a mandoline then place on a single layer onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Roast for 10 minutes or until the zucchini has slightly softened then remove and set aside.
3. Slice eggplant lengthways, about 5 mm thick. Place onto a baking tray in a single layer and lightly brush with olive oil. Season with a little sea salt and roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden and soft. Remove and set aside.
4. Thinly slice the sweet potato with the skin lengthways on a mandolin as thin as possible to form delicate orange wafers. Lay onto a baking tray and lightly brush with olive oil. Sprinkle very lightly with a little cinnamon and sea salt and roast for 30 minutes or until softened and delicious. Remove and set aside.
5. Half the capsicum and remove the inner core. Lay skin side up on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes or until softened and golden. Remove capsicum from the tray and place into a bowl then cover with a tea towel – this processs will allow the skin to be removed easily after 30 minutes.
To Assemble Lasagne
1. Spoon 1 cup of the smashed tomato sauce over the base of the baking dish.
2. Lay over 1/3 of the roasted sweet potato over the base.
3. Top with ½ the zucchini and spread over 2 tablespoons of pesto followed by a few handfuls of baby spinach.
4. Lay over eggplant and spread over one cup of smashed tomato sauce.
5. Lay over all the roasted peeled, capsicum.
6. Repeat with another layer of sweet potato, zucchini, pesto, spinach, eggplant and tomato.
7. Finish off with the last layer of sweet potato.
8. Blend the ricotta until smooth – Add ¼ cup of water if needed to form a smooth creamy white sauce.
9. Spread over the top of the lasagne and lightly sprinkle with Parmesan.
10. Bake For 40 – 45 minutes in a preheated oven (180 C) or until golden and hot.
11. Serve with a leafy green salad and more smashed tomato sauce.